The level of activity of the volcano is at YELLOW level: changes in the behavior the volcanic activity.
Based on the analysis of information collected by the monitoring equipment and surveillance of the volcano, the National Geology and Mining Service (SERNAGEOMIN) through the Volcano Observatory of the southern Andes (OVDAS), announces:
copahue– During this period, three hundred and thirty (133) earthquakes were recorded.
Seventy-two (72) correspond to events volcano – tectonic (VT associated with rock fracturing). Similarly, eleven (11) events long period (LP) and fifty (50) long period earthquakes (VLP) were classified.
– Regarding VT seismicity, local magnitudes (ML) were less than or equal of M3.6 and epicentral locations show a wide distribution, although most are concentrated on the northeast flank (NE) at distances less than 10 km from the crater EL Agrio, and at depths of less than 9 km.
– Regarding the LP type of events, they had local magnitude (ML) of M 1.2 and the maximum values of reduced displacement (DR) of 0.5 cm2.
The type of recorded seismicity VLP showed equal and lower local values of M0,7 and reduced values of displacement (DR) to the maximum of 14 cm2, mostly located around the crater with epicentral distances of less than 4, 5 km.
– The tremor remained at values of DR oscillating, usually below 0,7cm2, averaging 0,4cm2, considered low for this volcano, focused on the dominant frequencies between 1.0 to 4.5 Hz.
– On the surface activity when weather conditions have allowed, IP cameras installed near the volcano showed the presence of incandescent at night and a continuous emission of gas and ash from the active crater. These emissions are characterized by a grayish color, which show the presence of particulate matter (ash), a process that has been observed since October 6 (REAV October 6, 2015 1:00 p.m. HL).
Finally the emission column reached a height of 1000m above the crater.
– On 11 October, a survey was conducted to check the condition of the acid lake of the crater El Agrio.
In the area, it was possible to note the disappearance of the acid lake and instead, there was a deposit of material due to ash fall.
. In addition, the thermal images have a maximum temperature of 500 ° C from the center of emission.
Therefore, it is reiterated:
The recommendation of an exclusion zone of 2.5 km around the crater El Agrio considered as high risk area and the level of technical warning remains yellow.
October 17, 2015. Copahue, Chili :
Source : SERNAGEOMIN -OVDAS
Photo : J.Ovalle