Complete report of the situation bulletin of the Nyiragongo volcano by the Volcanological Observatory of Goma.
The Volcanological Observatory of Goma (OVG) informs the population of Goma, Gisenyi and elsewhere as instrumental data acquired during the period from April 4 to 12, 2016 indicate that:
Overall, volcanic earthquakes are concentrated between the two Virunga volcanoes (Nyamulagira and Nyiragongo) and along the fracture connecting them.
-From Nyamulagira volcano: It should be noted that observations on the ground of its assets pit on 6 April 2016 show a decrease in activity and a decrease in the level of its lava lake.
– From Nyiragongo volcano: its activity was characterized by the following facts.
* Volcanic earthquakes located in the central crater.
* A less abundant nocturnal red glow.
* A large plume of gas oriented mainly towards the East and West
The geochemical and geodesic data indicate no significant changes compared to previous data.
Moreover, OVG would point out that the green color of the observed waters of Lake Kivu since April 8, 2016 is simply due to a biological phenomenon. There was rotation of the deep waters to the surface, carrying with them nutrients (phytoplankton) and other micro – organisms.
– From information center on volcanoes: The center welcomed 146 visitors in total made up of pupils, students and independent.
NB. –The Population of Goma, Gisenyi and surrounding villages of Nyiragongo and Nyamulagira are required to observe strict hygiene by washing vegetables, covering foods and keeping them inside houses, while attention to rainwater.
– In addition, anyone wishing to have more information on the state of our volcanoes are asked to contact the OVG which is the only institution to provide information in this regard.
The instrumental data acquired by OVG indicate a sustained activity in the camps of Nyamulagira and Nyiragongo volcanoes. However, this activity shows no concern for inhabited areas.
The alert level of the volcano Nyiragongo remains at Yellow: Vigilance.
April 23, 2016. Nyiragongo , Democratic Republic of Congo :
Source : OVGGoma .
Photos : Jeremie Franchitti , OVGGOMA 19 avril 2016.